Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

What I Want From Recovery

(Just wanted to remind myself reasons why I'm working the program)

  • Develop a meaningful intimate relationship with my Savior and Father in Heaven
  • Have an actual relationship with myself
  • Receive joy and experience the whole scale of emotions appropriately, without shame
  • Shed pride
  • Shed shame
  • Replace worry and fear with faith and hope
  • Create bonds of intimacy with family and friends
  • Live life whole heartedly
  • Have the spirit
  • Recognize the spirit
  • Have faith to follow the spirit
  • Experience fruits of following the spirit
  • Look forward to the next spiritual experience
  • Find joy and even urgency in scripture study again
  • Trust God
  • Learn to trust and rely on the Lord in moments of need first, before myself or others
  • Let go of the past
  • Create a new future
  • Feel like I'm important and of value
  • Seek out opportunities to do missionary work
  • Have joy in redeeming the dead and being in the temple
  • Be able to breathe steadily when I experience feelings of distance from those I'm attached to
  • Be able to just be myself, letting my personality shine
  • Get out of my head and enjoy the present moment
  • Be in situations that no longer trigger bitter memories and feelings
  • Develop strong sense of self and identity connected to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ
  • Find joy in doing things for myself
  • Knowledge to share and pass on 
  • Ability to embrace what life gives me, to ride the waves, and learn from each trial
  • Be able to serve without expectations or fear of other's expectations
  • Have simple joy in simple service in many places
  • Develop a healthy support system
  • Utilize my support system without shame
  • Feel gratitude daily
  • Get married to a man and build a family based on love, trust, and the gospel of Jesus Christ


(may to be added onto as I think of more)

4 comments:

  1. I NEEDED to read this today. Today I have struggled to see the reasons I am working recovery. THANK YOU for posting this dearie :)

    As I read each item, I nodded to myself, "oh ya. That's right... I want that too."

    You're a rockstar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I completely understand the feeling. ;) You're welcome!! YOU'RE a rockstar! We're both rockstars!! :)

      Delete
  2. can i say that I like that getting married is dead last on the list?? SO many good reasons to stay sober. But remember, for us addicts, the thought of suffering doesn't come to mind. It is the dangest thing...we just can't seem to remember those reasons when we need them.

    God keeps us sober. That seems to be the only thing i've ever seen with any guy who has alot of sobriety. That is the miracle. Your top reasons will come to pass. And it can be faster than you think

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list!! I agree with Warrior- it CAN be faster than you think! I think you've probably achieved or mostly achieved some of them already. :)

    ReplyDelete