Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

1st Date in Over a Year


So.  My old roommate has been waiting to set me up with her friend, who I've met twice through her, for a loooong time.  I finally gave her the okay.  So, this past Friday, I went out on my first date in quite a long, long while.

I spent the entire two days before the date whining and complaining to my friends about how much I don't want to go.  I'm not ready.  I'm still scared.  I'm not good enough.  He's too cute.  It's just gonna be another night of avoiding real conversation, wearing plastic smiles, and lies.  I'm not going to be any fun!  He's either going to get really bored or turned off if I be myself, or he'll think I'm a blast because I'll be super fake-perfect like I always am on dates.  (ooooh, so that's why dating's never been fun for me)

First activity: cooking dinner together.  By the way, I hate cooking and I'm terrible at it.  Stresses me out!  I think the fear of ruining it overrides the joy for me.  But guys like girls who cook so, I tried to pretend like I knew what I was doing and acted like I knew my way around a kitchen.  Until.... he asked me to spice the sizzling fajita mix on the stove.  I asked what he usually puts in it.  He listed a nice list of words I've heard my roommates throw around, but were pretty much foreign languages to me.  You know.  Oregano... that's the only one I remember....  So finally I caved and announced, "Uh.... I gotta be honest, I have no idea what those mean."  Which opened up a conversation which ended with him saying, "So... you're basically a stranger to the kitchen huh?"  Me:  Great, it's over, he's going to take me home next, he's making up his mind that this will just be a "for fun" and that's all.  Some other girl will make him much happier.  Him:  laughter.  Next he stood next to me by the pan, touched my arm and showed me how he spices it.  He said I could put some lime on it.  I had to cut it first, so I held the lime and put the knife to it... and said, "Uh, I don't know which direction to cut one of these is best."  He laughed again, came close, and showed me.  He pulled out a lime juicer, one of those cool contraptions you make fresh orange juice with, and said I could use it.  Again... I broke my rule and said what I was really thinking, "Um, I've never used one of those before."  He laughed again!!!  Said something like, "Oh wow! You weren't kidding!"  He stood close with a huge grin and watched me with what seemed to be pure delight and entertainment, as I juiced my first lime.  From that point on, I was more myself than I'd ever been on a date, ever before.  He loves to cook.  I don't.  That's fine.  Awesome!!  I also felt something good inside I'd never felt on a date.  I think it's called connection.  I'd never connected on my end before, because I've always been "fake girl."  Intimacy can't grow without honesty.  Dang those therapists always have to be right.

That led to a night in which I felt the most accepted and myself than I'd ever been on an entire date.  But then toward the end of the night, I learned something hard about myself.

He showed me pots he was making in ceramics.  He told me about voice lessons he's taking.  He told me how he goes rock climbing 4-5 times a week.  He told me all the things he loves to learn about, how he loves traveling and seeing the world, meeting new people and learning languages, how life is about living in the present and making the most of what we've got.  He asked what I like to do in my spare time.  What are my passions?  What do I do for my regular stress relief?  I had nothing to say.  I only do what I HAVE to do, and when life finally deals me with some spare time, I waste it.  But I didn't tell him about my hours and hours on facebook.  I said I just don't really think about what my own passions are a whole lot.  He leaned forward with a look of both shock that anyone could live without such things, and also a look of concern, and asked, "So then... what DO you think about?"  After a long pause, wanting to be honest but not say too much, I finally found my answer.  "I worry."  I ended up telling him more personal things from there, though not too much, and instead of dismissing me with disappointment, he just wanted to keep talking and find out who I am.  I felt comfortable and safe, and was careful not to "over share" by setting a boundary with "Maybe another time I might get more into that but not now."  He respected that.  I wasn't ready to tell him I see a psychologist and struggle with anxiety etc.... etc....

So.  Now I have a new goal.  I have to want to make my life MY life and do things that are for me.  I need to want to live instead of survive.  I need to want to discover my passions and go for them.  I need want to be like this guy if I want to actually live a full life.  He's so comfortable with who he is and his life, even though he still has no idea where it's going to take him yet, it's beautiful.

Okay.  Back to the steps then.  I've taken a long enough break.  Time to stop avoiding and distracting and time to stop letting my addictions and fears and worries control me.  Time to live!  Suddenly I'm SO unmotivated and emotionally blah.  When did that happen?  Desires to pray and read and study and do homework... not there.  That's another story though.

I don't know that I'm ready to "date," but I'm definitely grateful for what I learned on this date.  I was seriously astounded that someone could live life so fully as he does.  I hope I can figure out how to be like that.  And I'm grateful to learn that I can be myself.  Someday someone will love me for me, but I have to be myself for that to happen.

8 comments:

  1. Wow:) Way to be honest...it's the only step you have to do perfect. I am gald you had a nice date and learned a lot about what you want.

    I am learning to find out who I am and what I want as well. For years I just did, liked, and wanted what everyone else did, liked, and wanted. No more! I want to find my own interests.

    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sparrow! It was a nice date, and he was a nice date too. YES, it's hard to refocus and think, "Okay, sooooo me. Not so-and-so or so-and-so or anyone else..... what do I like? Who am I?" Developing an identity. It really takes some effort huh?

      And you're welcome for sharing :) Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I loved this post. I kept on rooting for you in this story, too! Wondering what was next! I wonder if you'll go on a second date now. You know you're thinking it.

    If you've read brene browns book you'll know what I mean when I say that your post was filled with vulnerability and whole hearted living! How liberating even just to honestly say, "I don't know what you're talking about" and credit to him for not treating you like an idiot as a result! I look forward to chapter two, if it happens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks iheartseattle. I have her book now and am reading it! I sort of just started and it's REALLY good. I'm already applying her words to the way I live, but I hadn't even thought that this was what I had done on my date. Well yay for me! Thanks I'm glad you pointed that out! It did feel liberating though. Like really. So thank you!

      I don't know about a second date.............. I still think someone else could make him happier. But if he were to ask, I would say yes.

      Delete
  3. I have to chime in. This is fantastic!! You totally aced the date. Why? Because you were your self!! Dang it, from a guy's standpoint...that is all that matters. And if he wants to go out again...great. If not, oh well, he is a chump. :)

    I think your next post needs to be 5 things that you love doing. Write them out. And totally brag too if you have to. I think it's a common element among us addicts are all the feelings of "i'm not good enough...He's happier with some other girl...I'm such a pervert....Addicting out/stress is all I'm good at." (ok, i confess those are things i've said to myself..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warrior!! I could tell you 5 things I love doing..... I think...... but I couldn't say that I DO them. That's where I get stuck. I don't have any life goals beyond get married have babies make my hubby happy. Maybe I need to have a goal like... own horses, or something. Write music. Write a book! Actually I do plan to write books. Okay I agree I want to blog about that next. Maybe I'll throw out 20 things instead of 5! Except that I might be giving out clues to who I am and I like keeping this blog anonymous cuz then I can say whatever I want. Dang I need to overcome that. I should be able to talk however I want even if people know it's me. Eventually....

      Delete
  4. Girl, that is so awesome! I somehow missed this post while I was on vacation. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wondered. ;) Thanks!! Yeah.... it's now April what....10th? I haven't heard from him since. Yeah, I'm kinda sad. But what if there are more cool guys out there like him? It was a nice start. Something I needed and count as a tender mercy for a 1st date in a while.

      Delete